Moving can be stressful. From choosing a mover to cleaning out and packing up all your stuff, the list of to do’s seems never-ending. Trying to balance that with also being eco-friendly can add to the frustration. Here are some great tips for a GREEN move that will save you some GREEN and might actually make you some GREEN.
Selling your home:
In today’s world, technology has made it easier to be GREEN.
- Take digital images of your home and post them online and save paper by not printing out expensive fliers.
- Post a QR code on your For Sale Sign, so those with a smartphone can get direct access to your home’s website.
Tackling the whole house can be a daunting task. Take one room at a time and apply this same process.
Create 4 areas:
- Keep: Items ready to pack.
- Donate: A great way to recycle items that you no longer use.
- Sell: A great way to make some GREEN before your move. Use sites like Craig’s List or Ebay or have a garage sale.
- Trash/Recycling: Recycle as much as possible.
Typically, cardboard boxes are used to move your belongings from one house to the next. Now there is a company in town that provides you with the eco-friendly alternative to the cardboard box. FrogBox provides a convenient and affordable service to those who are moving in Boise and the surrounding area. They deliver your FrogBoxes to your home, you pack and move and they pick up your boxes from your new home. On average, a cardboard box is used 2 times before being recycled. FrogBoxes can be used hundreds of times before being recycled. They also have recycled paper available for purchase. As an added bonus their trucks run on bio-diesel and they donate 1% of their gross profits to Frog Habitat Restoration.
In your quest for a green-conscious moving company, keep these questions in mind:
- Do you use bio-diesel?
- What other steps are you taking to be more environmentally friendly?
Cleaning the home you have sold:
Time to Green Clean! Use Green cleaning products (available at most grocery stores). Save paper towels and use reusable towels that can be washed and re-used.
Once you have moved into your new home don’t forget to recycle all your packing materials!
Filed under: Frog Box, How To's, Moving Tips, Moving to Green, Reuse/Recycle | Tagged: eco-friendly moves, eco-friendly moving, green moving, tips on eco-friendly moves, tips on green moves | Leave a Comment »